Reservation and Storing Donor Sperm
If you have found the perfect sperm donor, there are many reasons why you should reserve and store their sperm for future use. Cryos recommends that you reserve your favorite donor, especially if you know that you would like to have siblings. We are unable to guarantee that your donor will continue donating, and we could run out of stock.
The difference between ordering donor sperm and reserving donor sperm
The difference between ordering donor sperm and reserving donor sperm is that when you order it is to purchase the sperm and ship it out within a month for home insemination or a clinical treatment. You can place an order up to 30 days in advance without paying a reservation fee.
A reservation allows you to purchase your donor’s sperm and hold it in storage, for a storage fee, at Cryos for a period of one month all the way up to ten years. You own these straws, but we will keep them safely stored for you until you are ready for us to ship them.
Why reserve donor sperm
There are many reasons you might want to reserve your favorite donor’s sperm, including:
- You have found your favorite donor and want to make sure you have enough straws to proceed when you are ready to do your fertility treatment. You don’t want your donor to sell out.
- You want to make sure you have enough straws while trying to conceive. If the donor you like sells out partway through your treatment this would cause you additional stress.
- Planning for your future family. If you already know you want more children in the future, and you would like all the siblings to be biologically related.
- We are unable to guarantee that any donor will donate again. Reserving sperm straws prevents your donor from selling out.
How to reserve donor sperm
You can reserve donor sperm straws in the same way as you place an order. Go to your selected donor profile in donor search and scroll down, add the number of straws you want into the “Reserve” line instead of the “Order” line, and then click the add to basket area button. You will then need to login or create an account to finalize your reservation.
You can also call our Client Services department at (+1) 407 203 1175 ext. 1 – they will be happy to help you place your reservation
How much sperm should you reserve
How many sperm straws you should reserve is a very personal decision. Some factors to take into consideration are:
- How many straws does your sperm donor currently have in stock
- How many children do you want to have
- Your age is a factor. If you are over 35, it may take you more tries to conceive.
- Do you have any fertility issues. You may need to do multiple fertility treatments to conceive.
Placing an order and reserving additional straws at the same time
You may want to place an order for home insemination or a clinical treatment and purchase some extra straws for reservation to use in the future. You can do this at the same time, which ensures that your get the sperm donor you want.
Does Cryos buy back sperm straws?
Yes, we do have a buyback policy.
As long as your straws remain stored at Cryos, we will refund you 75% of the straw purchase price. If your sperm straws are shipped to a clinic and stored there, they are ineligible for buy back, as we are unable to guarantee the conditions in which they are stored.
We do not refund storage duration that is paid for.
How to cancel, ship or extend a reservation
By logging into your Cryos profile on the website, you can cancel, ship, or extend the reservation of your donor sperm straws. Under “Your Reservation” you can terminate the storage of some or all your straws. In the same area, you can extend the reservation time or request the delivery of your straws if you are now ready to use them.
You can also call our Client Services department at (+1) 407 203 1175 ext. 1 to help you terminate, ship or extend your reservation.
How much does a reservation cost
A reservation includes two costs:
- The price of the donor sperm straws you select
- The price of the storage duration you select
The chart below shows the fees for sperm straw storage from one month up to ten years. Storage fees are per reservation, not per straw, and you can add multiple straws to one reservation.
|Sperm Storage Fees|
|3 months Prepaid||$150|
|6 months Prepaid||$250|
|1 year Prepaid||$425|
|2 years Prepaid||$750|
|3 years Prepaid||$1135|
|5 years Prepaid||$1550|
|10 years Prepaid||$2500|
How to add more straws to an existing reservation
If you would like to add more sperm straws to an existing reservation, please call our Client Service department at (+1) 407 203 1175 ext. 1 to assist you. There are no additional storage fees when adding more straws to your reservation.
Cryos is here to help you
Cryos wants to help you on your path to parenthood. Please contact us if you have any questions, concerns or need more information. Our bilingual Client Service department is here to help and support you in every way possible.