Reservation of Donor Sperm for later use
Should you reserve immediately or risk waiting? Once you have found your favorite sperm donor, you must ensure that the sperm donor is not sold out before you have placed your order and commenced treatment. And you should also think about reserving straws for more children from the same sperm donor.
- Do not risk your favorite sperm donor being sold out
- Do not risk having to change sperm donor in the middle of treatment
- Ensure genetic siblings
- Cryos guarantees to repurchase (75% refund on the straw price)
Before Starting Treatment
When you have found your favorite sperm donor you should make a reservation immediately. Do not risk your sperm donor being sold out when you require treatment at a later date. We hear almost daily from customers who are shocked because their donor has disappeared from the donor list.
Do not risk your sperm donor being sold out so that you have to change sperm donor in the middle of your treatment. On average, it takes 5 to 6 cycle treatments to achieve a pregnancy. Once you have chosen your favorite sperm donor, if you want to ensure that you have enough donor sperm from the same sperm donor for the entire course of treatment, you should make a reservation before starting your treatment.
Also remember to check that the pregnancy quota for your donor has not been reached. Read more about Quota Reservations.
After You Have Given Birth
For parents who have had a child using one of our sperm donors, and who wish to ensure the option of having genetic siblings in future, it is even more important to reserve donor sperm. If you want to use the same sperm donor, you should reserve a sufficient number of straws as soon as possible. Do not wait for treatment to start or until you need the donor sperm at some time in the future. If you do not make a reservation, you risk finding that the sperm donor is sold out. The benefits of using the same donor for future pregnancies are obvious:
- The children will be 100% genetically related and therefore have the best chance of having similar features
- Not all sperm donors and recipients are a biological match. If you have achieved a positive result using the selected sperm donor there is every chance that you will also achieve a positive result in the future
- You know what to expect
- The children will have each other as reference in personal identity relations
Do Not Wait - Reserve Your Donor Sperm Online Today!
To ensure that the sperm donor is not sold out and that there are enough straws, we recommend that you reserve sperm when you order donor sperm for the very first time. Instead of ordering donor sperm for delivery, simply indicate the number of straws under 'Reservation'.
What if the Sperm Donor is Sold Out?
If the sperm donor with whom you have previously registered a pregnancy is sold out, you can be registered on a waiting list – for siblings only. We will contact you if sperm is released from quarantine at some future date or if others who have made a reservation cancel their reservation. You will then have 12 days to contact Cryos to purchase the straws. If we do not hear from you within that period of time, the donor sperm on your waiting list will be released and made available to the next person on the waiting list.
How Much Sperm Should I Reserve?
This will depend on your individual situation. However, the more donor sperm you reserve, the greater the security.
Contact Cryos or your clinic (where applicable) to discuss your needs.
On average, you should expect 5-6 cycles to achieve a successful pregnancy at a clinic. The average pregnancy rate is between 10 and 40% per cycle treatment, depending on the patient's age and condition, the clinic's experience, hormone stimulation, timing, the sperm preparation method, sperm quality, insemination method, etc. Over all, 50 to 60% of an unselected group of women become pregnant after six months of treatment and about 80% after 12 months of treatment.
Remember that our recommendations are based on average straw consumption per pregnancy. If you want greater security, you should reserve more, or if you want three children, for example, you should reserve three times as much sperm.
Reasons for Reserving Less Donor Sperm
- If you find it easy to become pregnant
- If you are treated with IVF (in vitro fertilisation)
- If you are under 35 years of age
- If you have opted for fewer treatments, e.g. three cycle treatments. Continuing treatments over many years can be expensive and mentally draining
Reasons for Reserving More Donor Sperm
- If you find it difficult to become pregnant
- If you are treated using vaginal/cervical insemination
- If you are over 35 years of age
- If you want more treatments than average
- If you simply want more security, the more straws, the greater the security
You can always manage the content in Your Reservation.
You can add more straws, extract straws for delivery and cancel straws when you do not need any more.
We are here for you
At Cryos, we wish to support and help you on your journey to parenthood. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions or need further information.